Ohio Buckles Buckeyes
An Ohio Occupant Protection Program - Helping you get the car seats you need
What is the Ohio Buckles Buckeyes program?
The Ohio Buckles Buckeyes Program is a child passenger safety program of the state of Ohio that provides child safety seats and booster seats to low income families in Ohio. The goals of the program are to reduce the number of child traffic deaths, to increase the availability of child safety seats, to increase the use of child safety seats, and to increase the proper installation and use of child safety seats.
Who is eligible for the Ohio Buckles Buckeyes program?
Those who are permanent residents of Jackson County, Ohio who have children that require a car seat are eligible. The families must meet WIC income guidelines but they do not need to be enrolled in the WIC program. Prior to receipt of a child safety seat families must attend a class provided by trained Child Passenger Safety staff.
What are the state requirements for Child Passenger Safety?
As of Oct. 7, 2009, Ohio’s child restraint law requires the following:
- Children less than 4 years old or 40 pounds must use a child safety seat.
- Children less than 8 years old, unless they are at least 4 feet, 9 inches tall must use a booster seat.
- Children ages 8-15 must use a child safety seat or safety belt.
- Children age 15 and older must wear a safety belt in the front seat
- A driver between the ages of 15 and 17 may not have more passengers than there are seat belts
- Fines will range from a minimum of $25 to a maximum of $75 per occurrence. Second offense fines have a maximum of $250 and jail time to 30 days. A booster seat can be purchased for as little as $15.
It is advised that a children to stay in car seats or boosters as long as possible, even beyond the requirements of state law.
Additional laws for teen drivers
Teen drivers with probationary license to drive may not have more than one unrelated passengers in their vehicle without a parent or guardian present.
To learn more about OBB or to sign up for a class, contact the OBB Staff at Jackson County EMS :
Jackson County EMS – Jackson Station
260 Pattonsville Road, Jackson Ohio 45640